Is it time to replace the roof? Average life expectancy for roofing material by type:
- asphalt standard shingle 12-15 yrs
- asphalt premium shingle 15-30 yrs
- cedar shingle 25 yrs
- composition shingles 20-25 yrs
- wood shingle 10-20 yrs
– Cedar Shake 20-25 yrs,
– tar & gravel 15 yrs,
– light weight cement 50 yrs,
– metal 50-60 yrs,
– vinyl 50 yrs,
– tile 50 yrs.
- concrete/clay tile 20-40 yrs
- asbestos cement 40-80 yrs
- slate tile 40-80 yrs
- roll roofing 5-15 yrs
- tar & gravel 15-25 yrs
Any signs of roof leakage should be examined and evaluated by a proper licensed general contractor or roofing contractor.
Proper maintenance of the roof system could greatly extend the life of the roofing material.
If tree branches contact with the roof, small animal might get into the attic and make it a home. Cut those long branches to prevent unwelcome animals.